Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Old Friends

On the weekend my friends Steph and Mel came by. I met Steph years ago through camp. My sister and Ry have known her for more years than I can count. Mel is Steph's roommate and I met her a few summers' ago at camp but this last summer she got to deal with both Steph and I as we tried to lead camp this summer. We laughed more that week than I have laughed in years.

The great thing about camp is that it is all about fun - even when you are running the show! One night while walking back to out cabin we got silly - in the way of teenage girls. Both Mel & I got a little scared of the dark - no lights out there - even though we were kind of walking along a cliff(there was a railing) So both Mel & I decide we don't want to be the last person walking so we both are fighting to get by each other. Steph was maturely walking ahead of us(yeah right) In our haste we trip Steph who is now clinging onto the railing and trying to figure out what is going on - Mel stepped on my foot and I stepped on Steph's. Mel and I finally crash out on the rocks laughing like loons.

There was a tent platform nearby(the rebels and rowdies that ware hard to get to sleep) Their leader calls down to see if we are alright. Steph managed to reply - Mel and I are almost ready to pass out from lack of air because we are laughing so hard. Then she turned the mom look onto us! You know that look - the don't mess with me, and march your butts to the cabin right now look! Don't ask me how we could see suddenly in the dark but we both knew we were in trouble. So Mel and I suffering from giggles and the hiccups march back to the cabin where we tell Ry. Who once again thanks God that he was born male.

Steph and Mel are true friends. They make me laugh till my tummy hurts. They love me as I am . There are no rules to their friendship. Which especially this spring and summer I was lacking. We can disagree and it will still be okay. They love God and have suffered because of it which is refreshing. Their lives aren't perfect and they'll tell you that. They are honest and true to themselves. I feel blessed to be able to call them my friends.

No comments: