Today is the big day for the US of A. It is voting day. After a year of campaigning(sometimes more) it all comes down to today!
Now up here in Canada, our election is over but most are waiting to see what happens south of us. Now I'll tell you something most don't know here - I am American. I was born in Canada and have lived here most of my life but I have a parent that is American. Therefore a few years ago I officially declared my citizenship. Now for those concerned I also have my Canadian citizenship. While Dual citizenship does not exist you can hold different citizenship's independent of one another.
Back to the USA - So today is the day where US voters are going to pick who will lead them for the next 4(maybe 8) years. As half my family lives in the US and are very involved with politics I have heard lots of things about Democrats and Republicans. I am not registered to vote - I need to figure out if I can vote(not in this election but future ones). The process for registering if you don't live in the US is a bit tricky. But if I could vote in this election I would vote from Obama.
Sure there are a few things I don't agree with(like the live abortion thing that has everyone up in arms) but after 8 years of Republican rule(and lies) there is a great divide between parties. I believe Obama is able, in a way that McCain is not, to reunite people. While I probably lean more towards Republican politics in my personal views I can not stand the good ol'boys club that McCain and Bush are part of. I also think Palin was a poor choice for VP. A few more years under her belt and a LOT more experience and then she might earn my vote. But currently she is way too much "Maverick" for me. True McCain has tried to distance himself from Bush but I think the Republicans need a shake up.
And please no more Elizabeth Hasselbeck - she makes my teeth grind every time she opens her mouth(even when I agree with her!!)
I'll be watching TV today to see what happens - excitement is in the air!
Okay time to get back to Canada and my reality(two kids demanding my attention tout de suite!)
1 comment:
Amen sista! And you see who won!!! I'm very excited and nice to hear that you are a part of us southern folk :) I agree with you on the abortion/gay rights beliefs ... but what made me say "oh, ok" is when Obama said that he doesn't necessarily "agree" with those views, but those are laws that should be governed by STATES, not federal gov't. So, that's how I chose my STATE representatives. As president, you have to represent the nation as a whole - and all views. But that doesn't necessarily reflect "his" views. Well, anyway .... I'm glad its over! :)
Post a Comment