Friday, November 14, 2008

Last post on the tooth...for this week - LOL

Saw the surgeon yesterday. If you are squeamish skip to below. In two weeks they will be removing the tooth, vacuuming my sinus, sewing antibiotics into my sinus, then sewing the sinus shut. The they will take bone from the back of my jaw, mix it with artificial bone and pack it into the extraction site. In three months I'll have a titanium rod screwed in to my jaw bone, and three months after that a crown will be placed on the end of the rod aka implant. Total cost...just over $4000. Some I will hopefully get back from my extended health but chances are I'll have to put it out first and wait to be reimbursed. The good part is that I have a few months between each thing to find the moola.

Now I am on antibiotics to remove as much of the infection as possible. The pharmacist told me is 'may' give me a 'slight' metallic taste to my mouth. SLIGHT??? MAY??? My mouth tastes awful. It is like I am sucking on a piece of metal, and bitter like the pith of a lemon. It starts about 30 minutes after I take the pill and lasts 4 hours or so. I take one at bedtime and wake up with the funkiest morning breath :) Then I take one at lunch and spend the afternoon eating mints and chewing gum. I have to get myself some sugar free mints as otherwise I'll create more tooth decay and I think I can safely say I don't want that.

Overall I am okay with the surgery, the surgeon put me at ease. Or at least as much ease as one can have when doing this :) I am going to live in denial about the dental work until the night before - then have a last minute freak out and get on with it. It is time to put on my big girl panties and deal with.

Tomorrow I am heading south of the border and going to Target(yippee). So I'll either post before the sun is up or after the shop off. Till then...

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Hang in there!

Family Of Five said...

I am SO sad for you!

L&D said...

Yikes. I can't say I envy you, but I know you'll come through alive. Which hospital will you be getting your surgery done?