We went to church this morning and the message was great. All on being grateful for what we have - rather than wanting more. Rather than wanting a bigger house or car, a better vacation or whatever - the message was all about being content with what you have. Especially when you consider that many people around the world - and even right down the street from us are suffering for basics like food and water.
We haven't even been at this church for a year yet we we discovered their annual tradition. In most churches I have attended they do the regular offering(to cover expenses etc. like usual) and then a second offering that is donated to a food bank etc. Southside only does one offering and donates everything received - this year to a project that is aimed at getting relief to people in Uganda. There was also a donor(not sure if through the project or from our church) that would donate 5 times whatever was received. 30,000 children died today from starvation - hopefully initiatives like this will reduce that.
I was so happy though to hear that my church was taking everything given and giving it away. What an incredible step of faith. I don't know the financials of Southside but having been involved with several churches in ministry it seems that money is always short and that people are always worried that there won't be enough. I have never been to a church where they were willing to give everything they received to something else. I felt it was a great example on how we as a congregation should deal with our own income.
Things I Am Grateful For
1. Jesus - after all without him we have nothing!
2. My amazing hubby - he is a blessing to me and J-man
3. J-man and Baby G - little miracles
4. The rest of our crazy families
5. Shelter, Clothing, Food, Water - the things we forget and take for granted
6. Friends
7. My job - sadly only one more shift and then I am off - I am actually sad about that ;-)
8. My health
9. Freedom - to believe what I want, to say what I feel, to be where I am
10.Today - I am grateful that I am alive today. To see the rain and eat Turkey!
Blessings!
2 comments:
Thanks for the reminder to be grateful.
Great post! We so easily forget that we have so much to be thankful for! I hope you had a great thanksgiving!
Post a Comment