Monday, October 22, 2007

Got it flaunt it???

Last night Ry and I went to the Brad Paisley concert - which was GREAT! The drive in the rain was nuts - I think a boat would have been better transportation!

I have been to a few concerts this year and have noticed a trend - young girls putting everything they have on display! Where is the respect for themselves? Did their mothers not teach them a thing? I understand as a woman that if I flash a bit of cleavage - I may render some men completely stupid! But they aren't going to pay attention to me because of what I am saying or what I stand for they are simply staring at my boobs!

There was a group of young girls in front of us last night - I highly doubt they were out of high school. Either GM place doesn't ID people or someone bought their beer for them but they were very excited to be drinking! Don't even get me started on the waste of money that beer is at GM place! Anyway as they nursed their beers they jumped around and talked to any male that walked by. At one point they were joined by several and were dancing(more like grinding) their way through the aisle.

As I watched their display (they blocked my view of the stage) it struck me what a weight I have to carry as a parent. To teach my son(s) to look for women who love themselves and have some grace and dignity, that as men they should not base their respect for women on the 'assets' being displayed. I want J-man and any other sons I have to see a woman's character as well as her physical beauty. I want to teach my daughter(s) that they deserve more than being oogled by men they don't know, that their mind is more important than their boobs, that if they have to dumb themselves down and shake their bits all over to get attention - it may not be the type of attention they want!

On the drive home I couldn't stop thinking about how I have to train my kids to love themselves and find value in themselves - then we hit a huge puddle and hydroplaned - which ended all thought and started a spousal argument about safe driving and having two hands on the wheel ;-)

7 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

We as parents do have a huge responsibility. Well said. I too hope my son will choose a spouse who loves Jesus and is not just pretty. I pray that Trev and I will be godly role models to our children too.

L&D said...

Wow. This is profound. Something to think about. There is soooo much more to this parenting thing than "eat your veggies" and "no more TV." I will think on this today.

Tanya said...

Great post...definitely something to think about ALOT more as my daughter is turning 10 in a couple of weeks and is startint to "develop"...I'm too young for this I tell ya...well thats what I keep telling myself...haha!

I hope you have that baby soon!!!

Family Of Five said...

Oh, I think of this daily! Having a teenage girl who is rather large chested.... actually even trying to find clothes to cover them up is difficult... unless of course it's a turtleneck. It is a very difficult like between, making sure you are well groomed and look nice but not crossing the line into worrying too much about what other people think. It is SO difficult with teenage girls... we are the mean parents who don't let her dress like the other girls... Halloween is a terrible time for bringing the dress like a skank for a day!! Nevermind the weight issues! My daughter actually said not too long ago.... "Jennifer Aniston has really big thighs!" and "Jennifer Gardner is quite chunky!" ..... The standard of skinny these days is scary! I actually stood outside a highschool dance picking up my daughter.... I seriously felt like I was standing outside a peeler bar! I chatted it up with another mom as we talked about the terribly slutty outfits.. she follows it up with "Well, my girls are dressed more provocative than I would like... but what do you do?" .... I'm thinking you say NO! I can't tell you how many outfits I said no to before we came up with the thick strap tank top and cord pants she wore to the dance! I am so glad there are other parents out there that feel this way!

Jamie said...

Amen. I just keep trusting God that he will give us wisdom when our children approach that age!

Leslie said...

Well said!!! And oh-so-true!!! When you get a game plan together, let me know what it is :)

Amber said...

Great post. The thought of raising two daughters is overwhelming, but thankfully God is on our side and will guide us through it all.