Monday, January 07, 2008

Resolutions

So do you make resolutions? I do. I think we all need a few goals and January is the perfect time as the year is brand new. I went through my post from last January and found that I have completed most of what I set out to do! I lost 12 pounds, got pregnant, and found a new church. I am working on being more organized being home now helps with that! The construction never happened as once we looked at the $ we couldn't afford it. So we are biding or time here for another few years then we hope to buy a house.

So this year - in no particular order.

1. Lose 20 pounds - 15 of it still hanging on from being pregnant, 5 additional pounds. My cholesterol was high when it was checked so I need to lose some weight to help that.

2. Be content. After spending several years with people who were always trying to find the next best thing or buy something bigger and better I had become rather discontent with what I have. So after ditching the loser friends I was at a loss as to what I really wanted. So this year I am trying to be happy with what I have. not always looking for a bigger house, or a better car. I have a great house and a good car. Every time I have yearned for the next thing and gotten it - it doesn't change your life really. You just have something else you want instead. So less want more content.

3. Spend more time in devotions. Having my kids has changed the way and time I have to spend with God. Before J-man I would spend an hour reading, praying and in quiet contemplation. Now the only time I am in quiet is when I am asleep! I kept expecting to be able to get back to my former style so I didn't regularly get quality time with God. My sister in law(who has 3 kids) broke it to me gently - until all my kids are in school - kiss quiet time goodbye ;-) So with that in mind I began trying to make God time work with the situation I am in.

4. Read! I have tons of nonfiction books - lining the shelves. Some untouched, some with a few chapters read. I hope to read one book a month. January I am working on 3:16 - which is also working as a great devo.

5. Get rid of stuff and finally move in. Move in you ask? Did you just move? Nope - but I still have boxes packed, and I have been holding on to a lot of things "just in case". I feel like I am still in a rental and too scared to really decorate or hang things. I have lived here for 3 1/2 years - it is time to make it look like it. I am often attached to items that no longer work for me or that I am keeping out of guilt. Now that I have kids and toys slowly taking up space it is time to move on some of the things I have been hording away.

There you have my top five for 2008!

Up next ... kiddo updates ( the stories I could tell!)

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Great resolutions! I connected with #2 - so much easier said than done. You should read "The Treasure Principle" by Randy Alcorn. Erik and I both read it last month and it has really impacted how we view material stuff, etc. And if you read it, you'd be working on resolution #4 as well!!

Hmm, and maybe I should send Erik over to help you with #5 - he LOVES throwing things away ;)