Thursday, May 11, 2006

When you’re driving in a Chevy and your pants are getting heavy…diarrhea

It’s official. I have joined the Mom’s club. Pregnancy got me the application, labor, got me the interview. So what got me in the door…a baby with stomach flu! I have smugly sat for the last 10 ½ months watching everyone else’s kids get sick while mine was healthy. Sure the occasional runny nose or cough but nothing worth a doctors visit. Well this week that has all changed. On Tuesday we had a bit of vomiting in the afternoon (no surprise as J barfs all the time!) but it was a bit more than normal but nothing that I was worried about. Next he barfed at Cobs – more embarrassing for me than worrisome.

Then we fed him dinner (BIG mistake) he gave us a substantial vomit after that. So now R and I are thinking maybe his tummy is a little upset (DUH!) So I offered him a little piece of bread (what was I thinking???) He ate it then looked at me a little funny. It was like slow mo – I pushed the high chair away from the table, the barf flew from J’s little body. I felt it splatter on my toes. I look down (crap my new shoes) the floor under the table was being shellacked with vomit. The high chair was covered, J was covered, the floor was covered and it just kept coming.

We got several more episodes that night (got to change the crib and J once.) Then the diarrhea hit. We have changed bedding; J and I have changed clothes several times today. I went to the doctor – I was told “Yeah babies do this. It will probably last another 24 hours.” WHAT!!!! Sorry, no way. I want a second opinion. Cranky baby, poop encrusted clothes, laundry everywhere – I AM DONE! But it was not to be - I got home from the doctor – round 5 – another bath for J, more laundry for me. R has him somewhere in the house and I am going to go clean the floor under his exosaucer-like thing as poo shot out his pant leg and all over the floor. The glamour of motherhood – and we only get one day of celebration. Happy Mother’s Day!

2 comments:

Rob, Lisa & Ryken John said...

Hey Erin, so sad to hear your baby's sick. We finally got home at around 8:00 pm. We left our hotel this morning at 9:00 am. Even with a 2 hour flight, it takes all day to travel. everything was awesome, and I'll call you tomorrow to catch up. Of course we'll be at church. It's our first Mother's Day!
Missed ya 2
L

Lee said...

happy mommys day. its quite a job eh?