Monday, April 10, 2006

Diaper Fun

I grew up surrounded by females. My poor father was so outnumbered. Even our pets were female (until Harry and Archie). So when I gave birth to a son I knew I was in for a few surprises. There are many things that motherhood has taught me about boys. Most recently (and not surprising) – they love their penis’! Jack loves nothing more than to grab himself. The minute the diaper is off the hands just go there. When he first discovered this part of his anatomy he would give it a quick grab – yup still there and then go on to other things like pulling a sock off his foot. Now it is his favorite thing. When he is in the tub there are times when I think it will just pop right off because he is grabbing it so hard. Of course the funny part is that he laughs as he grabs himself.

Today he went for the grab as I was changing a rather nasty diaper. I am holding his ankles and fending off grab attempts with one arm and trying to use the wipe with the other. It is no use – he is in there. Poop everywhere. So now I am trying to keep his hands out of his mouth and off his clothes. I grab a fresh wipe to put under him so I don’t get poop on the change table, grab another wipe to clean his hands, grab another wipe to finish the first job. Oh no, the hands are back, okay grab another wipe to clean his hands, get the diaper on quick. Ahhh there is poop on his leg. Wipe it off and get these pants on quick. It was a 6 wipe change – almost a record around here. Of course to top it off the genie bag was out so when I pushed the diaper and wipes in the liner fell through too…I left it for Ryan to change when he got home.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I *SO* appreciated this post. I have a 17mo old son, Maysen, and getting used to this "grabbing my weiner and getting into my poop" gig. Know what else I don't get? POKING IT BACK IN ... as though it is reversible. An "inny" and an "outy" :)

Lee said...

oh man, you so described Ben, whose 3 and calls it his "man-toy" I honestly don't know where he got that name. I have instilled a new rule, "you have to be in your room or the bathroom to do that".
Not exactly a rule I would have ever thought I'd have to set.
Boys will be boys...

alexa said...

Erin, You are too funny! I felt the same way about boys, what was I supposed to do with him? I remember when Luke was at that stage, thankfully at 20 months he has outgrown it (for now). But now its so great to see him getting excited about trucks and planes and trains! I am beginning to like boys alot more than I thought I would. Alexa

Rob, Lisa & Ryken John said...

Wow, sounds crazy! We haven't hit that stage yet. Way to go on the profile pic!