Sunday, February 11, 2007

Feeling Buzzy!

Sorry for the 3 day absence - the computer had a melt down...again! We are still trying to work it out but it did turn on tonight so I got on tout suite!

Recently we've had nothing but problems with BC Hydro. Our bills are getting higher and higher and it doesn't seem to matter that we've tried everything to lower our bill. We've been on the phone with them many times - usually to be told (rather rudely) that we must be using more electricity than we thought. Our last bill was more than $300. We live in a 1400 square foot townhouse - that is insane! Our monthly average consumption was 4 times higher!!

So on the phone with them we get - after demanding they check our meter - we were told that for $65 they would come check it. Excuse me????? Finally they said we could do a mini check on our own - turn off the main switch in our panel wait 10 minutes. If the meter was still turning then something was wrong and our power was being stolen or something - of course they said this in the snootiest voice known to man - and I am an expert in snooty voices.

After 7 minutes we went outside and checked the meter - it was still flying like crazy but the meter that was our neighbors(although it is closer to our house) was at a dead stop. I walked over to their house and their garage light was on so there was no way they could be at a dead stop. Ryan goes back inside and flips the switch to return power and the meter returns to it's slow pace.

They have been reading the wrong meter and sending us the bill - for 2.5 years!!! I have been paying for the idiot neighbors TV to be blaring all night! They replaced their gas hot water tank and furnace with electric - which explains the sudden high bills.

Ry is the calm rational one so he'll be calling to demand a complete audit of our electric since we moved in! I always thought it was strange that the meter closest to our house was the neighbors and not ours - Hydro - you suck!

7 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow...thats crazy!! Good thing you checked! I hope you get a big honkin cheque from those hydro guys...your entitled to it!!!!

Won't your neighbors be in for a shock when they get their real bill!!!

Summer said...

WHAT!! That is insane. They should give you guys an instant refund and a great big apolizing. How can they make a mistake like that? I hope you get it all straigtened out with BC Hydro.

Family Of Five said...

No kidding! However.... that is why I love the monthly payments much better than paying full every month....we are in a 1200sq ft townhouse... I like my place warm!! We pay $100 / month all year.

Lee said...

man way to go and call them in their crap!

Shannon King said...

How in the world do they make a mistake like that and it gets undetected for so long??!!! The one good thing is you will be getting a big fat check back from them.

Family Of Five said...

Keep us posted!!

Nicci said...

WHAT?????? That is sooo insane. How can that be? I would be darn right pissed off.