Some nurses, I think, enjoy hurting people. Perhaps they are tired, overworked or just miserable people. I realize that they jab needles into people and invoke pain on a regular basis but, we as patients, are not used to being on the receiving end every day so show some compassion (Nurse Running Wildly I grant you a pardon from this - and any other nurse who actually listens to their patients)
Today my sister had to have another surgery (we both are inflicted with the oh so fun disease of Endometriosis) She was suppose to have surgery in November but after being held all day starving and bored they sent her home. After another month of injections she was on today's scheduled.
We have bad veins - they roll and hide when it comes to IV's. We are not lying to you Nurse Ratched. You will need to wrap our arm in a warm blanket, use a pediatric needle if possible and hold that vein down like your life depends on it. You will be given one shot where we are calm and rational - then it is a gong show so don't mess this up!!! We give these instructions to every nurse who either draws blood or gives IV's. Most follow all or part of the instructions. Occasionally you get some nut job though. Refusing to listen, usually with an eye roll (and yes I can see you roll your eyes in the reflection of the cabinet).
Today my sister got Nurse Ratched. Not only did she not listen, my sister passed out, and my drama queen mother followed suit! My sister must have had some sort of panic attack - she was yelling "No, No, No, I can't do this, I can't hear, I can't hear" Then her arm went completely rigid and she passed out. My mom, who handles crisis and her kids being hurt very badly was not impressed. The nurse told my mom this kind of reaction is common at 6am. Say what???? My mom then got woozy and had to lie down too before she hit the floor.
Later, once they had calmed down they laughed themselves silly over it. Now Marcy is home resting, doped up on pain meds. Take head those who wield a needle - be nice to us! We are not trying to piss you off or make your day harder...we just know our bodies(we've had them for a while now)
Yup
6 comments:
Yes, if a patient told me such a thing about their veins I'd listen. In fact, I've done IV's on drug users who only have 'this vein and this vein and this vein over here able for use' and I have listened. It always helps. If not for the poor IV insertion, but to ease the patient making them FEEL heard. A patient with bad veins can handle a few extra pokes if they heeded the warning and advice. Not so much if there was no active listening. Shame on that nurse.
And thanks for the pardon. I hope my name never changes from Running Wildly to Nurse Ratched. Geeze.
I understand what you're saying. I've only had to endure one surgery but the nurses couldn't get the IV needle in so it had to wait for the doctor to do it. The next day, I was completely bruised on both arms from elbow to fingertip.
I have totally been there...When I am pregnant my veins are hard to find. I have also almost passed out. Not a good thing when you already don't feel good. Listen to the paitents and the advise that they give. We are trying to make your job easier at least in this case.
I have those same veins.... and I always lay down when I get needles because I have been known to pass out too!
I always have to look away during needles and I often flintch. I have them.
Did you have issues getting prego with the endemetriosis?
Awww .. your poor sister! Sometimes nurses just feel invincible. They think "I'm good at IVs, this will be quick, I'll turn her opinion around." But that doesn't sit well. So, it's good to hear these stories so when I ever think "Lets just get this over with" I can stop, and think an extra second or two.
Post a Comment