Friday, July 27, 2007

Rejoicing in Loss

Today was Nate's funeral. It was amazing. The family held such strength and peace. Erik and Jamie played in the worship team , Erik and Doug stood with Kristy as she talked about her brother. Nate's dad gave the eulogy - He shared funny and touching stories about his son. My favourite being Nate as age 3 telling his mom he had figured out he could"think with his mouth closed!"

Ry and I cried through much of the service. The sense of loss was great today. Loss for a wife who lost not only her husband but the future she envisioned for herself, The loss of siblings for their brother. The loss of a mother and father for their son. And a loss of friends as we have lost someone that was a shining light in our dark world.

Yet through the loss was this amazing hope and peace. Nate has gone home to God. He is not suffering or in pain. He is in a blessed place. Today was a celebration of a life lived well.

After the funeral at the reception we met up with many old friends, shared stories of Nate and stories about our lives. We hugged Jamie and Erik and found out details of Elissa's recovery.

As hard as this last week has been, I think the hardest part is still to come. The funeral is over and life now starts again. Family and friends will go home, there are no more details to arrange. Now the family is left with life going on and they have to find a new"normal". Keep them in your prayers as they try and adjust to life with out Nate. Also pray for Elissa that her surgeries would go well and that she would heal quickly.

3 comments:

kelly ens said...

Indeed, it was a beautiful service!
I did see you there, but didn't want to interrupt your conversation.
We, too, continue praying.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I really wish we could have been there at the service.
Nate's death really makes me cherish and love my son all the more. Some how his cries and fussy days aren't so frustrating for me. I am so glad I have my son and yet I realize that God knows the time and hour inwhich Isaiah will be called home.
Thanks for what you wrote on my blog.

L&D said...

Thank you for writing this post. You were the first one I read that shared the horrific news. I have been in constant prayer for Rosanna as I cannot fathom the grief she must be experiencing. Cling harder to that husband and little boy of yours. Touch your growing belly and see how blessed you are. I know I've been doing a lot of that today.