Brrrrr it is cold in here I complained to my hubby the other night.
In typical man fashion he told me to put on a sweater.
But I didn't want to put on a sweater so he told me to turn on the gas fireplace for a few minutes. Then he retreated to his man cave upstairs.
I plunked down by the fireplace. I briefly wondered if it would work as we haven't used it in almost two years. But like most ugly things in my house they won't die(only nice pretty things need replacement much to my chagrin). I grabbed a book and prepared to spend 15 minutes immersed in heat and good chick lit.
As usual when you have a fireplace that hasn't burned in a while there is the smell of burning dust. Yet after a few minutes it didn't subside. Man we must have a lot of dust in there I thought to myself...back to book, hmmm now where was I? Ah yes the shoe shop that goes wrong.
So I am reading when the smell tweaks my nose...that doesn't just smell like burning dust anymore...I am sure I am imagining it - back to my book.
Yeah okay that smell is narsty! So I put down my fab book and begin the hunt for the stink. I can't see anything but something is not right so I turn it off and head upstairs where I tell hubby in the man cave that something is wrong with the fireplace and I'll call a gas fitter the next day. He grunts at me like Tim Allen "Arrr arrr arrr" I start getting ready for bed - as I brush the teeth I can smell the stink upstairs now...yuck. I grab my yummy method Gingerbread Spice spray and do my best to ignore the burning smell.
Suddenly he-man runs forth from the man cave - concern with what he is smelling. After making appropriate man grunts and bringing out the tools, we take the cover off the fireplace. There we discover the burnt melted remains of a plastic toy. I still have no idea what melted but P.U. did it stink!
So we opened the house all up - every window and door was open - at 11:30 at night in January! Yeah not so warm in the house that night.
Note to the wise - check the inside of your fireplace before hitting the on button
3 comments:
Burning plastic does not smell good. At least it wasn't animals. My sister and broth-in-law had dying animals in theirs.
Wow! That plan to get warm sure backfired! :)
Sounds like a nasty smelling stink of a time!
I hear ya about blogging (in your previous post)and I too feel somewhat like you do...I'd love to blog about what I've been "thinking" about...but I know that I'll get too many opinions thrown my way...ones that may not be so nice. So I'll keep it buried deep inside and try to figure it all out. I seriously think that I'm going through a mid 30's mid-life crisis...if that is indeed possible!
Hope you feel better soon!
Post a Comment